International Year of the Nurse and Midwife
RCN Foundation Monica Baly Grant
As part of the International Year of the Nurse and Midwife celebrations, the RCN Foundation will fund two awards for research projects up to the value of £5,000 for the duration of up to one year.
· One award will focus on the History of Nursing
· One award will focus on the History of Midwifery
Applications can focus on the history of any aspect of nursing and midwifery. Applications will be particularly welcomed in the following areas:
· Gaps in historical research, for example, BAME nurses/midwives, nurses/midwives with disabilities
· Areas of practice where the history is not as well documented, for example: prison nursing, school nursing, mental health and learning disability nursing
Applications should highlight the contribution that the research can make to improve nursing or to increase the knowledge of key areas of nursing.
Applications should demonstrate the use of robust historical research methods.
Applications must be from:
· registered nurses and midwives
· nursing/midwifery students
To apply please email email@example.com to request an application form
Applications opened on 20 March 2020 and will close at 5pm on 29 May 2020
About Monica Baly
The Monica Baly Fund was established through a gift from Dr Monica Baly’s Will. Monica Baly entered nursing in the 1960s but always had a passion for history. On retirement, she combined these two interests to study the history of nursing. At the age of 70, she completed a PhD in Nursing and Social Change. Dr Baly's ongoing passion was reflected in her role as the first Chair of the History of Nursing Society.
Dr Baly established the Monica Baly Fund specifically to remove the stumbling block of lack of funds for registered nurses who might otherwise not be able to undertake history of nursing activities.